Set Carpenter Apprentice and Production Assistant
Inspired Images Studios- Vista, Ca (San Diego County)
Entry Level Position -On the Job training
Hiring a few new apprentice positions for our Art Department. We provide set design and construction to the television and film industry. Our mill shop is overseen by a retired 20 year veteran from Paramount Studio’s who built sets and props for large feature films. He would like to start building our team with training the next generation of set and prop builders.
We are looking for a person who desires to learn and create, is mechanically inclined, and can think outside of the box.
• Constructing scenic backgrounds like flats, doors and casing installation, windows, columns, faux accents pieces, light panels, baseboards, cabinetry…etc.
• Installing and striking sets and flooring
• Building furniture and props
• Installing and striking full sets, learning to install stage braces, following safety requirements working on set, and perform tasks involving physical labor at sites.
• Learning and operate power tools
• Finishing work and painting by using a spray gun, roller, and paintbrush. Painting prep and clean up.
• Light Electrical and lighting work
• On shoot art department crew to help with moving furniture, resetting, décor, set adjustments…etc.
• On the Job training and education; including but not limited to the use of tools, procedures, job site materials and industry-specific vocabulary so you can clearly communicate to the Forman.
• Be able to follow foreman or leadman’s instructions.
• Willing to learn how to be able to read and interpret plans
• Follow provided tight construction schedules and finish work by deadlines
• Heavy lifting required a strong back is needed
• Cleaning and organizing the Mill shop and Job sites at the end of the day
• Stagehand duties: set up, unload and reload for events or production at Inspired images Studios stages and co-working facility.
• Production Assistant (PA) work for productions like running errands, food pick up, checking people in, grip, lighting and maybe even camera, audio assistants, craft services set up, jumping in with whatever is needed, taking behind the scenes photos or video if requested.
• The personality to take initiative to jump in and help in any situation. To see what’s needed or missing and to move on it.
• Valid CA Drivers license and have your own Vehicle
• Basic tool knowledge like reading a tape measure, using a hammer, a level, a screw gun…etc.
• Your own set of basic carpentry tools like a tool belt, hammer, measuring tape, small level, side cutters, medium screwdriver, gloves, putty knife, knee pads…etc.
• Ability to work well with others, flexible to adapt and have a pleasant attitude with the crew and clients. Be professional and positive!
• Being on time and reliable, deadlines are strict in our business and we need to be able to count on you when you’re scheduled to work.
• Must be able to read, write and speak English
Job Type: Part-time or on a per job bases. This position could turn into a full-time position later
Pay: Entry Level or based on experience
Required experience: Light Construction background
Required language: English
Required Education: High school or equivalent
Please apply by sending your resume and 2 character references to email@example.com